Bankruptcy Timing-When to File
Houston Bankruptcy Specialist
How to Start
Types of Bankruptcy
The Bankruptcy Process
Bankruptcy FAQ’s
The Means Test
Texas Chapter 12 Bankruptcy
Alvin Bankruptcy Specialist

How To Start

It is very important that you talk to a qualified attorney before filing a bankruptcy. A paralegal or legal assistant
will not do. They do not have the knowledge, training, or experience to counsel you about the complexities of
Bankruptcy Law. You may communicate with me directly with any questions, or for an appointment at or call 713-861-5699.

These are the steps you will need to begin the process:

1. The Law currently requires you to take a credit counseling course before filing the case as your “ticket in”
to bankruptcy. I will guide you in obtaining this course before you file.
The counseling agency will send a certificate of completion directly to my office for filing with the Court.
We suggest waiting to take the course until after the other initial steps have been taken. Later, after your creditor’s meeting (approximately 30 days after filing) you will need to take a second course in personal financial management..This is your “ticket out” of bankruptcy. Without it, you are not eligible to receive your discharge. You may take this second course from the same provider.

2. Once you hire me, I will email you a link to my bankruptcy forms portal. Use the link and password contained in the email.. Answer the questions to begin the bankruptcy process. The questions must be answered in full and in detail. This information can then be downloaded by me. I cannot file your case with this limited information. When you are entering this data for me, averages and guestimates will not do. We must have actual, correct, detailed answers. That is what the Bankruptcy Code requires.

3. Gather the following documents:

a. Copies of Income Tax Returns for the last four years.

b. Retail Installment Contracts for all secured items being financed. Secured Items would include vehicles,
mobile home, furniture, large appliances, satellite dish, homes, land, etc.

c. All loan contracts for loans that you pledged your household goods or other assets as collateral. Contract
must list items you put up as collateral.

d. If your home is up for foreclosure, please provide a copy of the foreclosure letter from either the mortgage
company or the mortgage company's attorney. If your vehicle is being repossessed, please provide the name
and telephone number of the person we need to contact. If you have an IRS levy, please provide a copy of the IRS levy that our office needs to have released.

e. Copies of last 6 months worth of paychecks and/or paystubs.

f. Copy of your social security card and drivers license.

g. Copy of proof of auto insurance.

h. Copies of payment coupons for all mortgages on home.

i. Copies of any lawsuits or Judgments.

These documents can be uploaded to the same protal you are using to provide the other information.

4. Contact me for a FREE, initial consultation at either my Houston or Friendswood office.

Bankruptcy is not always the solution. But when it is ... Get it done right!

Call me for a Free Initial Consultation*! Call and talk to John E. Smith personally 713-861-5699 or 281-996-9393.

*There is no charge on the initial visit; however, if the attorney is hired, part of the fee will apply to the time spent in the initial consultation.

This Law Office files bankruptcies for residents of:
Houston | Friendswood | Pearland | Galveston | League City | Dickinson | Clear Lake | Pasadena | Pearland | LaPorte | Texas City | Channelview | Seabrook | Katy | Sugarland | Fulshear | Waller | Friendswood | Hempstead | College Station | Pearland | Friendswood | Bryan | Southern District of Texas /Conroe/ The Woodlands

Attorney Web Design The information on this Friendswood Bankruptcy Attorney website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.